Friday, June 20, 2014

Dad and Sam in Viet Nam


When I told my father I was planning to move to Vietnam, his response wasn’t what you’d expect.  He didn’t say “Oh my god, that’s so far away,” or “Geez, why would you wanna live there?” or some quote from Forrest Gump.  He didn’t even lead with “I’m really going to miss you!”

He said, “Great! I’ve always wanted to visit Vietnam!”

I can always count on my dad to say just the right thing.

Of course I wasn’t surprised that he was already planning a trip out to see me in Vietnam.  He came to visit me in Taiwan and loved every minute. 

I arrived at the airport to pick him up around 10pm, more than a little drunk from a day of boozing that started at the all-you-can-drink Champagne brunch at the Intercontinental Hotel.  But Dad didn’t lecture me.  He hugged me and cracked open one of the 333s I picked up for the ride home from the airport.  And the next morning, while I slept off the bubbles, he waited patiently downstairs for breakfast.  What a guy.

The first day, I threw him in the deep end in with a ride on the back of my motorbike around Ho Chi Minh City.  We haggled at Ben Thanh Market and ate pho for lunch.

Pho!


No guided tour of Saigon would be complete without a trip to the Central Post Office, Notre Dam Cathedral, and Reunification Palace, so of course I dragged Dad along to all the major sights.  Exhausted but dealing with the jet lag like a trooper, Dad was up for a quick drink at my favorite little spot, The View rooftop bar.  So cheap, so lovely.

Drinks with a view


We ended the day with a family dinner, Vietnam style.  I roped in all the roommates and taxied over to Cuc Gach Quan for a feast of Vietnamese deliciousness. 

Viet-family dinner


The next day, we woke up early, grabbed a ca phe sua da and a banh mi, and headed to the airport.

Dad enjoying his first bites of Banh Mi


At the airport, we met our travel companion for the next few days, Lisa, my coworker at BIS.  We boarded our plane and set off for Hue, the old Imperial capital of Vietnam.  Without much of a plan, we headed out on foot to explore the city.  

Hue has quite an interesting history, but most people know of Hue from the Tet Offensive during the Vietnam War.  We wandered around the streets near our hotel, ventured across the Perfume River, and walked up to the impressive Citadel

Streets of Hue

Pieces of wartime memorabilia

Perfume River
(it did not smell of perfume...)

Approaching the Citadel

Ngan Gate


The Citadel is surrounded by a 2m-thick brick wall and houses the Imperial City, historic halls and palaces, and many Hue residents.  We decided not to enter the Imperial Enclosure, but instead strolled along the perimeter of the 2.5km-long walls of the citadel-within-a-citadel.  

Imperial Enclosure walls and moat

Bridge

Citadel wall

Imperial Enclosure gate


Along the way, we saw the 37m-high Flag Tower, Vietnam’s tallest.  We stopped to snap shots of the Nine Holy Cannons, representing the four seasons and the five elements.  


Flag Tower

Four Seasons Cannons

In an attempt to conserve our energy for the upcoming action-packed days of travel, we took our sweet time circumambulating the Imperial Enclosure.  We stopped frequently for pictures and wished desperately for a coffee shop, to no avail!

Crack kills

More moat

Dad climbs up the wall hoping for coffee

Lily pads


After crossing back over the Perfume River, we beelined over to the bar district and settled in for a few refreshing local brews.

Boats on the Perfume River

When in Hue....


That night, after dinner, we went to bed early, to dream of sugarplum fairies and fully-automatic motorbikes.  An epic journey awaited us in the morning!

2 comments:

  1. Adventures with Papa Baker are the best...you make me want to visit Vietnam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll put you up for free WHEN you come!! :)

      Delete